Kobold Hall - Adventure Log (DM-only)

first adventure!

Moderator: DMs

Kobold Hall - Adventure Log (DM-only)

Postby RoundeyeSamurai » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:17 pm

Encounter 1

Introduction:

Fallcrest is a town built on the ruins of a much larger, though forgotten city. It is populated by some 1300 inhabitants and surrounded by around 1000 more in the countryside. Being a trade center at the crossroads of the Nentir river, it draws many types of visitors. Many grand adventuring parties have passed through these gates, shared beers and beds in these taverns, and most importantly stories and gold. You and your ragtag group of drinking buddies have finally hit the bottom of the barrel, realizing that the only way to make it in the world is to make a name for yourselves. Your party is not without skills, nor is it without abilities, but what it does lack is experience.

One drunken evening at the Nentir Inn, while regaling stories that are not your own and drinking in the accolades you do not deserve, a local dwarven armorer, Teldorthan Goldcap bursts through the door. One of the barmaids approaches Teldorthan to take his order and bat her eyes at him, for he is a good tipper, when you hear him exclaim "A mug of gutbuster. and a damn fool troupe of heroes, if you have some of them hidin' under them skirts o'yers!" as he chuckles and gives her a wink. The barmaid leans to his ear and whispers something while pointing towards your table.

With a mug of the most horrific smelling liquid you could imagine in hand, the surly Dwarf strides on over to your party and makes you an offer. "A merchant caravan was hit just outside this very town by damned kobolds not more than a day ago. One of the many items taken was a cured dragon hide, MY cured dragon hide. Do any o'ye know how hard one o'dem is to come by? Just so ye know, it takes a lot of coin to just find one, and twice that to procure it when ye do find one!". Noticing the lady amongst you, he offers a lewd wink and states. "I'd be willing to part with a little more coin, if ye were to get it back fer me." He pulls up a chair to hash out the details.

Despite your reservations about actually adventuring (and not just retelling stories of others daring exploits) the promise of 200 Gold is enough to muster up the courage to accept the mission. You must return the Green Dragon Hide to Teldorthan, but any other treasure you find along the way is yours to share. You have preparations to make, letters to write to loved ones, and for some, a last roll in the hay for good measure. Rukt informs you all that some business may take a little longer than he hopes, and if he does not meet you on time, he will catch up to you and join you when he can.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Aftermath:

In case nobody was keeping notes, here is a brief synapses of what is happening/happened so far:

Hook: You are looking for a Green Dragon Hide in the Kobold Hall, for a hefty reward of Gold and XP.

Accomplished so far: 2 Kobold Slingers Killed/Captured (200XP), 3 Kobold Skirmishers Killed (300XP)

The captured Kobold Slinger has promised to lead you to great treasure, but has slipped through a Portcullis you have yet to open.

Busty 125XP 1 Action Point remaining
Goofus 125XP 1 Action Point remaining
Nook 125XP 1 Action Point remaining
Draw 125XP 1 Action Point remaining
Rukt 0XP 1 Action Point remaining
Durzo 0XP 1 Action Point remaining
I'm the DM, Deal with it!
RoundeyeSamurai

Re: Kobold Hall - Adventure Log (DM-only)

Postby RoundeyeSamurai » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:37 pm

Encounter 2

Introduction:

While mulling over the problem of the portcullis, and how to open it, your party hears the sounds of someone or something entering the dungeon, behind you. The sounds of heavily armored footsteps echo down the stairs. You are expecting someone, but is this the someone (or someones) you are expecting?

Erring on the side of caution, you all spread out, still weary from the last battle, but primed for the next. As the unknown person(s) descend to the final stair, Busty steps out in front of them, words of power on her lustrous lips... to find a dagger at her throat, and an unshaven face mere inches from her own. "Don't say it, sugartits, we're all friends here!" chuckles the rogue, Durzo. His rather less silent, walking partner, Rukt, just shakes his scaly head, and wonders why he consorts with honor-less rabble as this.

With his blade now sheathed, but the smug look still residing on his face, Durzo bows to his friends and lets them know why it is they were held up. "While lizardbreath here, was chit chatting with his friends in high places, I was ferritting out a way to make a few extra coins on this quest. I remembered there being a bounty on Kobolds posted at the city gates, and figured with a little more work, we can make a lot more money, so I talked to one of my contacts in the city guard, and found out that not only is there a 10gp per Kobold hide bounty to be paid, but the Lord Warden himself is offering 100gp to the "heroes" who bring in the Bone Mask worn by the Kobold leader." He chuckles and hitches his britches, obviously proud of his announcement.

The imposing Dragonborn, Rukt, merely shrugs and announces that the High Septarch, has had some questions as to the motives of this particular band of kobolds. They have seemed quite organized and timely of their attacks, not very indicative of the average kobold tribe. He fears that there is a greater and more influential force behind these raids, and wishes to know any details the party can find that support his suspicions. Rukt would not accept payment in gold for this mere task, for he is honorbound to help his friend, the Wizard, but the old wizard insisted he accept something in payment, and has offered use of his teleportation circle to the party, should they be succesful in the task he laid out for them.

Now... how do you get the damn portcullis open.

{this test can be done outside the encounter (non-combat encounter) and is worth 50XP to the party if you figure it out in 3 or less 'suggestions' to the DM (and pass the 'roll' should one of your suggestions require it). ;)

Good Luck.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So last night went well, the Skype worked awesome, and I am glad we used it. It was definitely all the more enjoyable. So here is the quick and dirty from last night.

Hook: Bring back Kobold scalps for bounty (10GP each) and bone mask from kobold leader (100GP).
Hook: Find proof that there is something more powerful behind the kobold attacks.

· Morgan and Sean/Winston(?) used Action Points last night. (please remind me who else used AP’s, or who didn’t)
· Since it was the 2nd encounter completed without extended rest for Morgan, Winston, and Sean, they each receive an Action Point. (Milestone)
· Matt and Winston both used 1 Healing Surge
· No one used Daily powers
· All Encounter Powers are reset
· Each of you who participated get 110XP for the encounter
· There is 60 gold in the party coffer

Sum it up!
· Morgan – 245XP, 1 Action Point
· Winston – 243XP, 1(2?) Action Point(s)
· Matt – 143XP, 1 Action Point
· Mark – 133XP, 1 Action Point
· Sean – 243XP, 1(2?) Action Point(s)
· Mike – 143XP, 1 Action Point

There is no short rest between this encounter and the next, so you may NOT use any healing surges between now and then (Thursday). Any healing will have to be done during the encounter. You all played well, and used your characters pretty much as intended. Now is the time that I would like to bring attention to retcon’ing. If there are any changes, powers you want to swap, or ability scores you want to re-roll, let me know (in a direct email, not group email) and we can discuss it. I even got to see some actual roleplaying (funny guy Matt). This brings me to another point. I am only going to announce to everyone what the party finds if the entire party is searching, if only one person happens upon something I will inform them privately (through SKYPE messaging) and it will be up to them to tell the party. If there are extenuating circumstances, I may as a DM do something to draw attention to it, like a player tripping over a golden scepter, I will draw attention to the character tripping… not the scepter. When you guys enter a room from now on, it is your responsibility to look for traps. I will, beforehand, roll passive perception, and announce if you find anything, but if someone like your rogue wants to do a careful check, I will re-roll and add a thievery bonus to the roll.

Part of me is wondering though if I did the perception checks correctly, so I am going to re-read that section, to be sure. But hey, this is a learning lesson for us all before the big Adventure. LOL
RoundeyeSamurai

Postby RoundeyeSamurai » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:50 pm

Encounter 3

Introduction:

Skull – Skull
This chamber looks like it was once a tomb, but the kobolds have transformed it into what you might almost call a playground. Four stone coffins lie here, with a sludge-filled pit between them. On the opposite end of the room is a pair of wooden double doors. Flanking the double doors are two raised platforms, both 10 feet above the floor. Two kobolds stand on each platform. Arrayed on the coffins are several animal skulls, all of them arranged in small piles. One kobold holds a sludge drenched stone tied to a long rope that is secured in the ceiling.

Aftermath:

The Quick and Dirty in Table Format of what happened last night:
USED
Player
Action Points
Healing Surges
Daily Powers Used
Bloodied (y/n)
Mike

Y
Sean
2*

Y
Morgan

1 – Acid Arrow
N
Matt

Y

Mike is awarded an action point for reaching his milestone of 2 completed encounters. Congrats Big Scaly Guy!

REMAINING (please fill in how many surges you have left for me, and current HP, thanks)
Player
Action Points
Healing Surges
Hit Points
Mike

Sean
1*

Morgan

Matt

Mark

Winston

*I found out this morning, and this is entirely my fault, but you can only spend 1 action point per encounter, because your first one you completely whiffed on and it made no impact on the encounter (positive or negative), I am not costing it to you. You still have one remaining. ;)

Each participating member of the party is awarded:
168XP

They party also searched the chamber and found the following treasure:
- 1 Garnet (val. 25gp)
- 1 Ruby (val. 50GP)
- 50 GP
And the following items:
- 6 Kobold Skins
- 1 Glue Pot:
o Attack: + Dex vs AC.
o Damage: 1d6 + Dex
§ Target (Medium or smaller) is immobilized. Save Ends. No effect on Large creatures. Ie: A human is Medium Sized.

Party Coffer:
Gold - 110
Kobold Skin - 14
Glue Pot - 1 (It was decided this would be awarded to Matt, since he has the highest Dexterity, therefore the Highest Bonus)

XP totals:
Character
XP
Matt
Mark
Morgan
Winston
Mike
Sean

Level at 1000XP.

Brief Summary for the spectators and the people who missed the adventure:
The Room w/monster setup:

image001.png
Skull-Skull Map
image001.png (326.98 KiB) Viewed 7780 times

M: Minion
S: Kobold Slinger
D: Guard Drake

The party entered in the northwest corner (low left) and could only see the 2 slingers, and 2 minions. The 2 minions at the bottom of the stairs (either side) and the guard drakes were not visible. The doors near the drakes were shut. The Rock Attack Area lines were also not visible to the players. Because Matt was able to successfully sneak into the room undetected, I awarded the players a surprise round, before the creatures could react. While Matt and Morgan were able to use ranged attacks from below the danger zone, Sean and Mike were not. Seans ranged attacks required him to be closer, and Mike has no ranged attacks (unless he were to throw his weapon and shield). This forced Sean and Mike to cross into the Danger Zone during the surprise round. Because both had to end their initial movement in the Rock Attack Area, the Kobold Minions were able to interrupt and swing the Rock (effected as a trap) at them. Unfortunate for them, I was able to roll critical attack rolls for max damage and push both players back 2 squares. This ended the surprise round and normal combat began. Throughout the early few rounds I was rolling very well, but the players were not. I was able to immobilize Mike with a Glue Pot, but was not able to capitalize on his immobility using the rock trap,
since he was able to roll the save on his next turn and escape. As the first minion fell, the party discovered that there were more, since they emerged onto the platforms to fill the vacant rock swinger spots. Mike was able to successfully make it to the base of the left platform and climb up to engage in melee combat, quickly discovering the Drakes as one rushed up the stairs to help defend the platform. Mike was able to shield bash the drake and knock it off the platform where the rest of the party trapped it and caused enough damage to force it to climb back up and try to rush past Mike. Using an action point to attempt a second climb, Sean was able to make it up the platform with Mike and they secured a foot hold on the left platform driving a kobold slinger down the stairs into the hall. Working his way down the stairs, Mike took two attempts to open the gate (lol) but this enabled the team to regroup and focus on the scattering enemies. While they took a fair beating, they were able to finally clear out the room of monsters, the last being the second guard drake, who was felled in 2 very powerful hits from Matt’s Duellist Flurry + Action Point + Combat Advantage. They then proceeded to search the room individually in selected spots for treasure, and then as one final group perception check. Bruised, Battered but Breathing, the stand wearily wondering what to do next.

I did some rolling this morning during coffee break:

Because of the nature of this room, the sounds of combat could not be distinguished from the wailing and screaming normally heard from Kobolds playing a hearty game of Skull-Skull, and no monsters in the area know any the better. Your party decides with a little fortification (barring the door and setting some basic alarms and traps, that these platforms would provide a good place to rest and recover. Taking shifts at watch, your party passes the next couple hours eating and readying for the next encounter.

Please reset all your encounter powers, and notify me if you plan on using any healing surges. I will roll the 1d6 bonus and inform you how many hitpoints you received. Ie: Should Mike use 2 surges, I will roll 2d6 to add to the value of his 2 surges. Please keep track of the surges you have used up to this point. After this next encounter, you will have an extended rest before the last and final encounter.

Morgan, please remember that the use of your daily (acid arrow) means you haven’t any Daily’s for this next encounter (as one of them was stored in your spell book). During your extended rest you may choose which one to study for use the next day, and the other one will be stored in the spellbook. I had to confirm this with my DM, as to how multiple daily’s worked for a low level mage.
RoundeyeSamurai

Postby RoundeyeSamurai » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:53 pm

Encounter 4

Introduction

You arrive at a chamber with a 20-foot-tall ceiling. Before you is a 10-foot tall wall that leaves passages open to both the right and left. Suddenly, the sound of cracking timbers echoes through the hall. The floor shakes, dust cascades down from the ceiling, and something big and heavy hurtles toward you!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

After Math:

Setup:
CropperCapture[1].png
Encounter 4: The Big Boss
CropperCapture[1].png (210.26 KiB) Viewed 7763 times

W: Kobold Wyrmpriest
D: Spiretop Drake
K: Kobold Dragonshield
S: Kobold Slinger
Red Arrows denote Boulder Trap Path

Our encounter begins with Goofus, the aloof Battlemind, throwing the preverbial wrench in the Machinework of the DM's battle plan, by using his encounter power allowing him a precursive move, triggered by his initiative roll. Our changeling ranger rushes towards the sound of the Rushing Boulder, slipping safely out of it's path. It is his poor kitten that takes the brunt of the roll as the boulder smashes into it...twice before it is able to move out of it's way. As two Kobold Slingers climb from inside the center room onto its walls, the rogue, Durzo, entangles one with his bolo. The Dwarven Cleric, Nook, and the Dragonborn Fighter mount the wall to finish the immobilized Slinger.. but both fail to make contact with their weapons. As the Kobold Slinger, disentangles himself, in a panic to get to safety, he smashes a glue pot in the face of the dragonborn and scurries down the wall to relative safety.

Draw the ranger and Busty the Mage make their way to the platform where the Boulder came from, to focus their ranged attacks on the Wyrmpriest and his guard. Goofus valiantly rushes headlong into the fray, attempting to trap the Wyrmpriest on his platform, where he cannot avoid the volley of arrows and magic from the Ranger and Mage. Goofus soon finds himself in a dire predicament though, as the Drake moves into a flanking positions and striking quickly, able to snatch small implements from the Mage. With an incendiary orb launched from the mage, the Wyrmpriest and his two guard, trapped in position by Goofus, begin to take fire based damage from the flames. While Nook scrambles to a position withing range of the battered Battlemind to throw forth waves of healing energy, Rukt, steadfastly holds the high ground in the center of the room. :D

It is a mere matter of minutes before the Wyrmpriest, having expended his 'Incite of Faith' power, is cut down by the combined power of the Ranger, Mage, and Psion. Leaving the kobolds in disarray. Durzo, the rogue, chases after the Drake, while Nook brings hammer support to Goofus helping the finish the already wounded Dragonshields. The final kobold slinger tries to slink away while the Rogue and Mage do their best to free Rukt from his sticky prison, but in a terrrific show of strength, the Dragonborn bursts his gooey bonds and rushes forth to lay a near mortal blow to the Kobold, who is then finished off by Draw's arrow...luckily, because if Draw missed, then the boulder trap would have struck Rukt, as he was standing in its path.

Throughout the Battle I believe Winston used 3(?) Healing Surges :shock: and Morgan, Mark, and Winston all used Action Points.

They party also searched the chamber and found the following treasure:
- 5 Kobold Skins
- 1 +1 Staff of the War Mage : This staff provides its user with a +1 enhancement bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls. On a critical hit, it deals an extra 1d8 +1 damage. In addition, once per day as a free action, the user can increase the size of a blast or a burst by 1.
- Bone Mask of Kobold Leader (Hook)
- Silver Key and Parchment detailing the location of a locked door in a northern alcove of the room.

Each party member is awarded 141XP for the encounter. With the leftover 4XP going to Goofus, who risked life and limb to trap the Kobold Wyrmpriest and his Guards on the platform where Draw and Busty could lay waste to them from afar.

Current XP Totals are:
Matt - 452
Mark - 274
Morgan - 554
Winston - 388
Mike - 452
Sean - 552

Party Coffer:
110 GP
19 Kobold Skins
1 Garnet (25GP)
1 Ruby (50GP)
1 Bone Mask (Kobold Chieftan)

You all enjoy an extended rest:
Please reset all Action Points to 1, Hit Points to Max, Healing Surges to Max and all Encounter and Daily spells. Morgan, please decide which of your Daily's spells you wish to memorize for use, and which to place in the spell book (inform me so I know which is which).

Nice work gentlemen, I thought it would have gone a lot smoother, and quickly, but the many failed saving throws vs glue, really brought your party a fair amount more trouble than I had expected.
RoundeyeSamurai

Postby RoundeyeSamurai » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:43 am

Encounter 5

Remember: You have all enjoyed an extended rest before the Silver Key was used to open the door. Everyone is full on HP, Surges, and Encounter/Daily powers. Good luck!

Introduction

You follow a long, winding passage from the kobold chieftain’s throne room down and down into the earth. Eventually, the finely worked stone tunnels give way to natural passages. Finally, you come upon a large cavern. The air is unnaturally cold in here. In the center of the room is a large pool of frozen dark water. The cavern is quiet.
CropperCapture[2].png
Encounter 5: The True Threat
CropperCapture[2].png (423.58 KiB) Viewed 7737 times

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fin

With well placed attacks, coordinated movements and commanding use of Encounter and Daily powers, the Nads slew the great and powerful, though young, Szartherax the White. It has become apparent that this young Dragon had brought the kobold clans together and was commanding their attacks on the caravans to Fallcrest, to increase its hoard. Your party is exhausted, but exuberant in their defeat of the wyrm. The party makes its way back to Fallcrest, bearing news of the demise of the Skull Kicker tribe of kobolds, information regarding what the true power was behind their cohesive attacks, and Teldorthan Goldcap's green dragon hide. News of your return with spoils and the fangs of a small but powerful dragon, spreads quickly throughout Fallcrest. Children run alongside you in the streets, the Merchants and Beggars alike, clap and cheer and the ladies, ooooh, the ladies....

Finally, you have your own tale to tell, no longer will you be riding on the coattails of other adventurers. Now you command an audience in truth and tale, now you truly are heroes... but what is next in store for Faeruns newest adventurers? Find out soon...

----

In this encounter your party receives:
125 XP each
100GP
1 Pearl in a felt bag (20GP)
+1 Lifedrinker Longsword (level 5)
1 Green Dragon Hide

For completing the 3 tasks:

Hook: Dragon Hide - returning the Green Dragon Hide to Teldorthan Goldcap
100 GP
500 XP

Hook: Kobold Bounty - dispatching the kobolds and proving to the Lord Warden that the hold is clear of the draconic vermin by returning with the Chieftan's Mask
10GP for Each Kobold Scalp (19) = 190 GP
100 GP for Bone Mask of Kobold Chieftan = 100 GP
750 XP

Hook: Terrible Secret - Relaying the truth of the Kobold Tribes power and leadership to Nimozaran the Green, High Septarch of Fallcrest.
500 XP
Magical Aid in travelling to your next adventure.

-----
Final Stats

Party Coffer
700 GP
1 Garnet 25 GP
1 Ruby 50 GP
= 775 GP

To be divided equally amongst the Party members

Personal Stats:

Morgan (Busty)
1136 XP Level 2
129 GP
+1 Accurate Staff of War Mage

Matt (Durzo)
868 XP
129 GP

Mark
694 XP
129 GP

Winston
970 XP
129 GP

Mike
1034 XP Level 2
129 GP
+1 Life Drinker Long Sword

Sean
968 XP
130 GP

Congratulations Guys! Well done. No one died, some came close, maybe Winston will be more successful than I. I am awarding myself, as DM, the Average of the XP gained during this adventure, which may be the best way to keep the recycling DM's character within an acceptable level of the overall party. As the DM does gain critical experience in game time, just not as a particular character. Does that sound ok to everyone? Please respond in the discussion thread. Thanks again, guys, I had a freakin' blast.
RoundeyeSamurai

Return to Kobold Hall